From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git workflow
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 00:52:21
1 On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
2 > C Bergström wrote:
3 >
4 >> 2) merge commits lead to multiple parents, which breaks a clean and
5 >> simple to follow linear history
6 >
7 > This is either a bug or a feature depending on whether development
8 > was actually linear. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.
11 This is really the crux of it. This debate has been running on IRC
12 and the lists for well over a year now. I think the proposed workflow
13 on the wiki is as good as any I've seen. In six months we'll probably
14 decide to change it, but I couldn't tell you how today. I'd rather
15 see us move to git and work this stuff out vs just debate the topic
16 endlessly on the lists.
17
18 The existing cvs structure has its own share of pros and cons. The
19 history is a lot cleaner when you look at individual files. On the
20 other hand, when you look at tree-wide commits it is a complete mess.
21 Even with merges it will be a LOT easier to separate out changes with
22 git.
25 Rich