From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: Fred Gates <dabozz@××××××××××××.org>
Cc: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about the new install guide
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:23:09
1 > we should point people to the way of mandrake, redhat, suse etc. im
2 > getting tired of having to answer the same questions over and over. why
3 > dosent x hardware work with gentoo. why cant i emerge sync when the
4 > install tells me to. what is chroot? i need point and click. i cant use a
5 > computer without the pictures. i like seeing the community grow and new
6 > users behind the project but when we get the wrong type of users its not
7 > helping the development process, having to stop and answer a question that
8 > could be answered from google or the forums every day just becomes a
9 > problem. and i dont think this is an "arrogant" position to take, its the
10 > facts.
11
12 Yes it is arrogant. I will not point people away from Gentoo, and I
13 will certainly not discourage questions, even if it's the millionth
14 identical of the day. I'm confident that none of the Gentoo developers
15 feel as you do, because if our own developers start turning users away,
16 things will be going downhill. Don't forget that the "knowledge of
17 unix" wasn't encoded in your DNA.
18
19 Anyway, just wanted to cut the high horses before they start stampeding.
20 --
21 Seemant Kulleen
22 Developer and Project Co-ordinator,
23 Gentoo Linux http://dev.gentoo.org/~seemant
24
25 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3458780E
26 Key fingerprint = 23A9 7CB5 9BBB 4F8D 549B 6593 EDA2 65D8 3458 780E