From: Chris Johnson <cmjohn@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 05:48:20
1 To all (and to the list/web maintainers):
2 I'm a fairly recent beginner with Gentoo Linux, and as I have
3 encountered various issues during install and use, I have leaned heavily
4 on Google to simply route me back to the helpful community and
5 gentoo.org mailing lists, archived on the web.
6
7 I propose that indexing of the listserves be implemented and prominently
8 promoted as a search on the gentoo.org homepage so that first-time
9 users, who invariably end up there and at the install pages, can quickly
10 query the knowledge accumulating in the mailing list traffic. That is
11 really the only way to solve the problem of finding up-to-date
12 information of the highest quality; and many/most first-time users will
13 either a) not join the mailing lists because they want the minimum fuss
14 and involvement to get the job done and b) the mailing lists themselves
15 are not prominent and accessible in the first place (as are, say, the
16 main articles featured on the front page). Further, the docs can't hope
17 to keep up with many of the smaller issues raised on the lists; but that
18 information should still be accessible.
19
20 I don't know much about mailman (have set it up once) and its indexing
21 capabilities, but I know that such a search feature could be the single
22 largest improvement in the typical installer and user's experience with
23 gentoo linux.
24
25 Thanks for your consideration,
26