From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 07:41:42
1 On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100
3 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have
6 >> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both
7 >> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative
8 >> that every developer should be able to read.
9 >
10 > How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last
11 > time you brought this up?  How many times have you had to request emerge
12 > --info or build logs in general?
13
14 I suspect that being able to read logs is much more important for
15 general bug wranglers like Jeroen than for the developers who only
16 deal with bugs for a small set of packages. Although I find
17 non-English logs annoying, they are usually good enough for me to find
18 the problem when dealing with bugs in a package with which I am
19 already familiar. However, I would likely be lost if I needed to help
20 a user who had posted a log in a language that I did not understand
21 for a package that I knew little about.
22
23 -Alexandre.