From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs due to samba project being disbanded
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:05:24
1 On 2019-03-27 4:25 p.m., Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2019-03-27 at 12:18 -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:04 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> The samba project will most likely be disbanded shortly. While
5 >>> the current project members may stay as fallback maintainers,
6 >>> the following packages (being part of the Samba stack) would really use
7 >>> new, dedicated maintainers:
8 >>
9 >> I understand disbanding projects when they're really just the old
10 >> "herd" concept, but this actually looks like a coherent set of
11 >> packages that a project should maintain. I don't see a bug about
12 >> disbanding samba. What's the rationale?
13 >
14 > The project's developers are no longer interested in maintaining those
15 > packages, and we're checking if people would be interested in some of
16 > them. It's better to have a few disjoint maintainers than no
17 > maintainers at all.
20 Some of those are separate, but most of those packages really need to
21 stay together, they all even come from the same upstream source... I
22 don't know if disbanding the project is a good idea for that one.
23 These packages at minimum all need to be maintained together:
24
25 net-fs/samba
26 sys-libs/talloc [#]
27 sys-libs/tdb [#]