From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] USE settings for specific apps
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:42:02
1 > Some people have suggested that they would like to be
2 > able to set some
3 > USE variables for specific apps.....examples escape me, but I
4 > know it has
5 > been brought up.
6 >
7 > Anyways, I was thinking something along these lines would work:
8 >
9 > ----
10 > # Global settings
11 > USE = "this that other etc"
12 >
13 > # App specific
14 > USE-mozilla = "!this !that foo"
15 > ----
16 >
17 > Basicaly, the syntax would be "USE-<appname>". This portion should be
18 > simple enough to impliment, however the variables pose more
19 > of a problem
20 > since you dont want to have to repeat all of the normal USE
21 > settings for a
22 > specific app and most of the time you just want to specify a
23 > USE setting not
24 > to use (hence the !'s). Special vars might be good here too, like
25 > "defaults" to inherit all the global USE settings...or
26 > "no-defaults" to
27 > ignore them all...
28 >
29 > .....thats the general idea....comments?
30
31 I don't like the idea of making app-specific settings in a global file. For
32 my money I think that a command line switch to emerge/ebuild to turn certain
33 USE variables on or off would be better. The idea that a user ALWAYS or
34 NEVER wants to use a particular thing seems a bit rigid to me.
35
36 Sean
37
39 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
40 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
41 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
42 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
43 ICQ# 104246806