From: Maciek Borowka <mborowka@××××××××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install report, bugs, questions & suggestions
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 14:37:21
1 Some answers....
2
3 > XSANE
4 > latest xsane is 0.84. latest in gentoo is 0.77, quite old. Is there a
5 > particular reason for keeping an old version?
6
7 I don't think so. Upgrade the ebuild file and send it to bugs.gentoo.org if
8 you want it in gentoo
11 > BASESYSTEM
12 > basesystem wants me to install isapnptools, but i haven't used a isa
13 > cards for year! i don't even have an isa slot! i think hotplug would be
14 > a much better thing to have in core system than isapnptools.. how to
15 > tell emerge i don't want it with update (without having to do it at each
16 > emerge rsync) ?
17
18 Take a look at /usr/portage/profiles directory. There is a lot of interesting
19 stuff there : package.mask for the packages that you don't want, or
20 default/packages for the list of default packages.
21 You can create your own profile too, and put there only the packages you want.
24 > GKRELLMMS
25 > gkrellmms.c: In function `create_gkrellmms':
26 > gkrellmms.c:694: structure has no member named `top_margin'
27 > gkrellmms.c:696: structure has no member named `bottom_margin'
28 > make: *** [gkrellmms.o] Error 1
29
30 This is a bug in gkrellmms. If you compile it from sources, you get the
31 same error. Try on their mailing list (if they have one)...
32
33 > LANGUAGE
34 > Is there any way to have non-english language in other apps than kde
35 > itself?
36
37 Yes, use LANG environnement variable :
38 maciek@dune maciek $ export LANG="fr_FR"
39 maciek@dune maciek $ ls /rien
40 ls: /rien: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
41 maciek@dune maciek $ export LANG="en_EN"
42 maciek@dune maciek $ ls /rien
43 ls: /rien: No such file or directory
46 > EBUILDS
47 > How do we find the list (and description?) of packages that can be
48 > installed? I'm talking of something equivalent to rpmdrake for example
49
50 All the packages are organised in /usr/portage tree. You can use find (or
51 locate) to browse them.
54 > RPM
55 > rpm is present so i guess it's supported.. but why using rpm 3.0.6 as
56 > 4.0.3 is the latest version?
57
58 Gentoo is NOT a rpm distribution. The rpm ebuild is put in portage in order
59 to let you install some (almost always proprietary) software distributed only
60 in rpms files. Personnally, I don't know any of these that needs rpm 4.
61
62 Anyway, I am sure that your ebuild will be welcome ;+)
65 HTH,
66 /Maciek
69 If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is
70 a protected abstract virtual base pure virtual private
71 destructor, and when was the last time you needed one?
72 -- Tom Cargill, C++ Journal, Fall 1990