From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/gentoo-release?
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 03:43:28
1 On 1 May 2002, Markus Bertheau wrote:
2
3 > I was thinking about modifying the backend code for ximian-setup-tools
4 > for gentoo. Right now, gentoo cannot be identified by a program like
5 > other distros can, for example through /etc/redhat-release, which is
6 > necessary for these kinds of programs (as it is for webmin, for
7 > example). I was told that such a mechanism is to be added in the future.
8 > I'd like to know how exactly that is going to be achieved.
9
10 There has been some discussion about stability profiles recently, but we
11 have not codified it yet. If what appears to be the current consensus
12 becomes de jure, we'll release a new "stable" profile (a set of ebuilds)
13 every four weeks or so, and this might very well include an
14 /etc/gentoo-release.
15
16 The exact format of the /etc/gentoo-release file is yet to be decided, but
17 will probably include release date and mayhaps a nickname or astrology
18 sign or something.
19
20 Karl T