From: Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:34:49
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 03:02, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
> Here's a completely different way of doing tags: >
You know, that's not a bad way of going about it. Truth be told, I had sort of forgotten sets exists because they're a bit cumbersome at the moment. But it's cheap and dead simple and gets us our 90% immediately. Actually, it gets 100%, even, if you can include a set as part of another set (implication) and symlinks function as aliases. Very clever; I like it.
> where eapi has to be on the first line. >
Looks fine but just to be clear, why is having the eapi necessary?
> Second, make a bunch of sets named kde-tag, editors-tag, xml-tag, > monkeys-tag etc. >
Don't even need the "-tag" part, really. But yes, a couple hundred sets are in order. And some tool-glue.
> Disadvantages: doesn't use some horribly convoluted system of XML, > wikis and web 2.0. >
That's not a disadvantage at all. Thank you for noticing the third path. While I still don't really believe categories to be necessary, this will be a fine intermediate step. Cheers, Wyatt