From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion related with dropping keywords policy
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 09:27:37

Let my explain the problem and my suggestion to handle it better (at
least from my point of view) with an example:

Sometime ago I bumped bluez version from 4.39-r2 to 4.60, with that
bump, a new and *optional* RDEPEND on sys-libs/libcap-ng was added.
Since libcap-ng was not keyworded in all arches but x86 and amd64, I had
to drop keywords for bluez and open for handling it.

From my point of view, I would prefer to:
1. Mask "caps" for net-wireless/bluez on affected arches, letting us to
keep bluez keyworded.
2. Open two bug reports as done with current policy: one for keywording
libcap-ng and other to check bluez works ok with it asking arch team to
unmask that USE flag if possible.

This way to go would have the advantage of letting people running bluez
on affected arches to still get the latest bluez version instead of
still having to run a pretty old (and buggy) one.

Thanks for considering it