From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: My turn to wear the cursed medalion of retirement
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:27:15
1 Alexandre Buisse wrote:
2 > I think the time has come for me to retire as a gentoo dev. There are
3 > multiple reasons to that, but mainly, it has stopped being fun a good
4 > while ago, and I don't like where I see the project heading.
5 >
6 Man well if it stopped being fun, fair enuff. I hope you'll continue to use
7 gentoo and contribute without the grief.
8
9 > I'm also worried of how more and more things get done secretly, be it
10 > because "we don't want bad PR" or because "feedback at this stage would
11 > only slow things down". We shouldn't consider users as idiots or people
12 > from whom we need to hide. This is free software, remember?
13 >
14 I didn't realise things were done secretly (of course ;) There's always
15 going to be people discussing stuff in private, but at least the council
16 meetings are in public.
17
18 ++ to your sentiments about usrs. From what I can see, too many devs look
19 down on them (despite having started off as usrs.) For that reason alone, I
20 am really sad to see you go.
21
22 Sorry I missed in the other post about that you were leaving. Especially as
23 I use tex for my academic work..
24
25 > Another thing that I dislike are the rules that get added everywhere.
26 > There is a growing layer of bureaucracy, and I really don't think we
27 > want to go in this direction. It restricts freedom, it takes time and
28 > energy and it encourages playing "by the rule book" which I thought was
29 > opposed to the very spirit of free software. More rules won't help us
30 > solving whatever problems we may have, but it will certainly make the
31 > project less fun to work on.
32 >
33 TBH I think all that was needed was saying that the pre-existing rules apply
34 to all on the dev m-l, and actually *enforcing* those rules for devs.
35 Devrel is clearly not set up for that, so I support the new dev-mods (sorry
36 proctors is a silly name imnsho as only Americans get it. I understand from
37 a US buddy that a proctor is someone who gives you an aural examination cf
38 viva. I /really/ dislike that connotation.)
39
40 > I see a general trend, sometimes wished for, of becoming a business-like
41 > environment. Including a proper hierarchy and a "rule enforcement"
42 > department. Well, I'll tell you what: I don't want a boss, especially on
43 > a voluntary project. And, though I perfectly understand that this is not
44 > shared by everyone else, I couldn't care less about being a business or
45 > not.
46 >
47 Amen to that; I don't think working on a Free project precludes standards of
48 behaviour tho. And like it or not, someone has to enforce them.
49
50 > To end my list of griefs, I really dislike the fact that people with a
51 > gentoo.org address think of themselves as somehow better than users (I
52 > don't throw the stone to anyone, I certainly did indulge in this as
53 > well). I feel that gentoo is not enough about users, and that they don't
54 > get even the respect everyone deserves. Unfortunately, projects like
55 > userrel can only do so much when the real problem is in everyone's
56 > mindset. And I don't really see a solution to this problem being found
57 > anytime soon, since the said problem isn't even acknowledged.
58 >
59 Well at least a *dev* has said it now ;)
60
61 > I'm aware that in a perfect world, I would stay on board and try to
62 > steer the project in a direction that I would like. I tried that for a
63 > bit and it was quite obvious that I wouldn't be supported by a
64 > significant part of the community. And I don't have the time nor energy
65 > to lobby this properly. I had some ideas for a metastructure proposal
66 > that would perhaps have helped some of the issues I talked about, but I
67 > honestly don't think it would have stood any chance of being accepted,
68 > especially since it would have meant suppressing the council power *and*
69 > would have needed to be voted by the same council.
70 >
71 I think you're underestimating the *current* council. But meh, you've left
72 now.
73
74 <snip>
75 > As a final word (sorry, this got a bit longer than planned), let me say
76 > that if I sounded bitter in the beginning of this email, it's only
77 > because I care a lot about gentoo, and I hope that this email, in its
78 > modest way, will help making it a little bit better.
79 >
80 Thanks for your clear reasoning. I'm really sorry that gentoo has lost yet
81 another dev, and that you've had such a bad experience recently. My
82 apologies to you for any part I have played in that.
83
84 Good luck, mate!
88 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list