From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Important instructions to manually compile kde apps
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:37:21
1 On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:07:35 +0200 Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > Right now, with the "multi-kdelibs scheme", to compile a KDE app you
7 > need to
8 > do:
9 > ---
10 > export KDEDIR=/usr/lib/kdelibs-$ver
11 > ./configure --prefix=/usr[/local]
12 > ---
13 > (/usr/local being recommended for manually compiled apps)
14 > Also, kdevelop requires a correct KDEDIR setting (like the one
15 > above) to run
16 > configure scripts.
17 >
18 > I want to put this KDEDIR setting into /etc/env.d. This may cause
19 > people who
20 > don't read the above instructions to run configure without
21 > parameters, and
22 > their app will then install into KDEDIR=/usr/lib/kdelibs-* which is
23 > bad. They
24 > won't be expecting that because /usr/local is the default, but
25 > KDEDIR
26 > overrides it in this case.
27 >
28 > So, this needs to be put somewhere where many people will see it - a
29 > FAQ item
30 > probably, but most people don't read the FAQs until they have a
31 > problem.
32 >
33 > Suggestions? Where should this go?
36 My $.02 worth. There should be an item like the excellent "From
37 Source Cd Install Guide" with installation, warnings, and
38 post-install usability and setup instructions for every major package.
41 Collins Richey
42 Denver Area
43 gentoo_rc6 k2.4.15-pre5+ext3+xfce+sylpheed+galeon