From: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] my ebuild
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:25:18
On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:26:03AM +0300, Aleksandr Guidrevitch wrote:
> >Why? What's wrong with the default program KDE provides for keyboard layout > >management? > > > > > Do you mean kxkb ? Hehe :) Well : > 1. I don't like to switch layouts with ctrl+alt+k.
> Instead, I prefer ctrl+shift for layout switching > (impossible with kxkb, since it suppresses default xkb behaviour)
Strange. I happily switch keyboard layouts using alt-shift without kkbswitch. Did you ever check the keyboard settings of KDE 3.2? It stops the behaviour which was likely the reason for programs like kkbswitch or xxkb. Now it looks like it's just a frontend to the commands provided by Xfree86.
> 2. kkbswitch only indicates current layout, the swithing is actually > preformed by xkb. > This is correct, IMO.
Same for KDE 3.2, as far as I can tell.
> 3. ex-Windows users would prefer to use ctrl+shift (or ctrl-alt, or > shift+shift) layout switch, > instead of ctrl+alt+k (the only available in kxkb) and mouse.
That was never correct. You could user-define the hotkeys for such actions also in older KDE versions. Not with the keymap settings, but in the global hotkey configuration.
> 4. AltLinux, a quite good, if not best, russian distro uses kkbswitch as > layout indicator > (no kxkb). I really understand and appreciate their choice for the > reason indicated above.
I think these reasons (mostly, if not all) don't exist any more.
> Is that enough to consider kkbswitch as a portage candidate ? ;-)
Well, having it would do no harm, of course. I was just asking why you think it is necessary, I'm not in the kde-herd anyway :-) Bye, Patrick