From: Patrick Kursawe <phosphan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] my ebuild
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:25:18
1 On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:26:03AM +0300, Aleksandr Guidrevitch wrote:
2 > >Why? What's wrong with the default program KDE provides for keyboard layout
3 > >management?
6 > Do you mean kxkb ? Hehe :) Well :
7 > 1. I don't like to switch layouts with ctrl+alt+k.
8 [snip]
9
10 > Instead, I prefer ctrl+shift for layout switching
11 > (impossible with kxkb, since it suppresses default xkb behaviour)
12
13 Strange. I happily switch keyboard layouts using alt-shift without
14 kkbswitch. Did you ever check the keyboard settings of KDE 3.2? It stops
15 the behaviour which was likely the reason for programs like kkbswitch or
16 xxkb. Now it looks like it's just a frontend to the commands provided by
17 Xfree86.
18
19 > 2. kkbswitch only indicates current layout, the swithing is actually
20 > preformed by xkb.
21 > This is correct, IMO.
22
23 Same for KDE 3.2, as far as I can tell.
24
25 > 3. ex-Windows users would prefer to use ctrl+shift (or ctrl-alt, or
26 > shift+shift) layout switch,
27 > instead of ctrl+alt+k (the only available in kxkb) and mouse.
28
29 That was never correct. You could user-define the hotkeys for such
30 actions also in older KDE versions. Not with the keymap settings, but
31 in the global hotkey configuration.
32
33 > 4. AltLinux, a quite good, if not best, russian distro uses kkbswitch as
34 > layout indicator
35 > (no kxkb). I really understand and appreciate their choice for the
36 > reason indicated above.
37
38 I think these reasons (mostly, if not all) don't exist any more.
39
40 > Is that enough to consider kkbswitch as a portage candidate ? ;-)
41
42 Well, having it would do no harm, of course. I was just asking why you
43 think it is necessary, I'm not in the kde-herd anyway :-)
44
45 Bye, Patrick