From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mtime preservation
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 13:31:37
1 On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:35:53PM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
2 > 2009/11/26 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>:
3 > > It's an academic discussion, and pointless.  We don't mandate the
4 > > filesystems PMS implementations are run on- as such we cannot make a
5 > > gurantee to ebuilds that nanosecond resolution is available.  It's
6 > > daft to encode in the spec NS resolution when it's essentially
7 > > impossible to gurantee it
8 >
9 > If we're not going to insist on preserving nanoseconds as far as
10 > possible, then package managers should be required to explcitly clear
11 > the nanoseconds part.
12
13 I'd had the same thought actually. If folks really consider it to be
14 needed, then jam it in as far as I'm concerned. It has the potential
15 to remove a heisenbug or two.
16
17 Presuming I'm reading posixmodule correctly from the python source,
18 pkgcore already does second truncation (reliance on utime) and portage
19 does it whenever movefile is invoked- any direct mv invocations
20 obviously do not however.
21
22 Basically, if stat_float_mtimes is False (the case for all portage
23 context and most of pkgcore context), os.utime auto truncates to
24 second precision.
25
26 ~harring