From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: should openrc be mandatory on all gentoo systems?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 01:07:54
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 17:10 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
4 > The background is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is a link to
5 > /lib/rc/functions.sh, which is part of openrc.
6 >
7 > Other init systems, like systemd, are coming along which completely
8 > replace sysvinit and do not use openrc's init scripts at all. However,
9 > since things other than init scripts are using /etc/init.d/functions.sh,
10 > all gentoo users are forced to have openrc on their systems whether they
11 > use its init scripts or not.
12 >
13 > As you can see in the bug, I am working on creating a
14 > minimalist version of openrc that can be installed to allow users to
15 > have access to the functions that are in functions.sh regardless of
16 > whether or not they are using openrc's init system.
17 >
18 > I'm not convinced that this is the best approach, so any input would be
19 > greatly appreciated.
20
21 As long as we have Gentoo-style init scripts in the tree, we will need
22 these functions to be available. So yes, they should probably be in a
23 separate package from openrc itself to ease the transition to the bright
24 systemd future.
27 Olivier CrĂȘte
28 tester@g.o
29 Gentoo Developer