From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:04:06
1 On 6/14/07, Abhay Kedia <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 14 Jun 2007 1:54:51 am Vlastimil Babka wrote:
3 > >
4 > > But maybe Skype is not so pressing to upgrade, just doesn't provide
5 > > distfiles anymore. Then maybe we don't have to obey, but still it's
6 > > really questionable if it should be marked stable at all.
7 > >
8 > Then don't mark it stable but dropping it from the tree altogether? That is
9 > taking it a bit too far imho.
12 > > And yeah I'm a Java dev but at least Java is now open (I admit that the
13 > > stable VM's in tree are not, yet) and I don't see that coming for Skype.
14 > > Also Java (and your examples of closed source stuff) are not infamous
15 > > for the bad stuff mentioned above.
16 > >
17 > Has any one done the same kind of analysis on all the closed source
18 > applications we have in tree? If we take an alternate view on the wikipedia
19 > link then it can be said that it is just an attempt for spreading FUD while
20 > trying to pimp Open Source alternatives?
21 >
22 > Don't get me wrong...I love open source and that is one of the reasons why I
23 > have been using GNU/Linux for many years but acting paranoid and dropping
24 > popular packages from tree is not something, I as a common user, would like
25 > to see. This is the only reason I am poking my nose in the workings of devs.
28 Indeed, if you were to drop all non-opensource _games_ from the tree
29 you'd loose most, if not all of your popular mainstream games, and
30 we'd have become another debian ;), and one of the big 'gotchas' i've
31 loathed about debian for many years is their "zomg!..its not 'free'!..
32 extradite it to the abyss!" , and thus for many years MP3 support and
33 many other applications were just the same as red hat, ... either
34 broken, limited functionality due to 'freeness' , or downright missing
35 altogether. ( anyone remember the pre-sun-java-in-debian days? )
36
37 I love free software as much as the next guy, but sometimes you want
38 to use something non-free, regardless of status, and regardless of how
39 much it sucks ;)
40
41 *ducks*
42
43 Gentoo is about choices, one of those choices is the choice to install
44 closed-source software, or software with well documented evils, the
45 best thing we can do is warn users what they're getting themselves
46 into and let them make an informed decision IMO.
51 Kent
52 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
53 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list