From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] subprofiles for ARM architecture
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:25:36
1 On Sunday, August 07, 2011 07:50:42 Raúl Porcel wrote:
2 > The problem is that during the history of the ARM architecture(according
3 > to the wikipedia, the architecture was introduced back in 1981) there
4 > has been some subarchitectures(the most available are armv4, armv4t,
5 > armv5t, armv6j and armv7-a) which include new functions that is not
6 > available on the previous subarchitecture. Something like SSE, SSE2,
7 > SSE3, etc... but in arm is called SIMD, NEON, etc...
8 >
9 > Apart from that, there are some apps that only work in one
10 > subarchitecture because it uses some capabilities only available on that
11 > subarchitecture and newer. Which is the case of valgrind. It only works
12 > with armv7-a. Also there's www-client/chromium, which later versions
13 > only work on >=armv6j.
14 >
15 > With subprofiles we could keyword such packages, mask them globally on
16 > arm and unmask it on the subprofile of the subarchitecture that supports
17 > it.
18 >
19 > We build stage3s for the armv4t, armv5te, armv6j, armv7a
20 > subarchitectures, and we'll make them use the profiles.
21
22 makes sense to me
23 -mike