From: dams@×××.fr
To: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] desktop
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:53:17
1 foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net> said:
2
3 > On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 14:52, dams@×××.fr wrote:
4 >
5 >> Maybe add a vanilla flags, that can be unset. When unset, the DE are
6 >> preconfigured and gentoo touched.
7 >> The pb is that you want vanilla, but you want also some core feature like
8 >> centralized menu system, which is not compatible. So either we decide not to
9 >> include such features, or to have a flag.
10 >
11 > I'm quite against this, there should be one Gentoo to rule them all. I'm
12 > not against adding some extra patches, as long as they add clear
13 > functionality we can maintain (this is most important). No need for
14 > flags for vanilla and not so vanilla.
15 >
16 > The menu system is a difficult one i know, but in reality there are few
17 > people who use more than one DE. We cater the masses well at the moment,
18 > those who want to work with a different look 'n feel every day should be
19 > able to handle the downsides.
20 >
21 > The proposed implementation i have seen i dislike for several reasons,
22 > but mostly because of the reasons i stated down here in my last mail
23 > (compliance part). I think other possible solutions may be a lot more
24 > workable and should be investigated first. But these are details, this
25 > isn't the place to discuss this.
26
27 ok, but, I doubt we'll find a lot to do without braking vanilla-ness
30 >> >> - write guidelines to be more (free)desktop compliant, to be used by the whole
31 >> >> gentoo devs for their packages.
32 >> >
33 >> > We shouldn't be compliant, we should push upstream developers to be or
34 >> > work on their packages being compliant. Us providing some hackish layer
35 >> > of compliance is a recipe for disaster. It is fighting symptoms, while
36 >> > you should be attacking the problem by its root. I don't see our already
37 >> > heavily pressured teams do all sorts of compliance work.
38 >> >
39 >> > And no, just hiring a few more people is no solution if you want to have
40 >> > the same quality/involvement.
41 >>
42 >> That's a possibility, but that means that, as a linux distribution, we don't
43 >> provide additional compliance. If you keep the desktop vanilla, we don't either
44 >> provide additional desktop default. That can be what we want. But what will
45 >> provide gentoo linux, as desktop, then?
46 >
47 > We provide the power to work with the desktop as intended upstream. The
48 > GNOME Desktop is an idea as a whole, we provide it as it is. And for say
49 > corporate users you could say they could easily adapt their installs to
50 > their needs, without the necessity to hack out all sorts of distro
51 > specific stuff. Or for granny's email machine (installed by her
52 > son-in-law) she just get what she needs and not all sorts of extra cruft
53 > (no granny doesn't need no CD burn tools or LDAP support in her mailer).
54
55 ok, but maybe she wants that when she installs something, it shows
56 automaticcally in the menu, but she doesn't want to have a cluttered menu
59 >> I think a perfect corporate desktop would :
60 >>
61 >> - be cheap
62 >> - be installable by not so good technical guys quickly
63 >> - be useable at soon as it is installed
64 >
65 > 'emerge gnome' and maybe in the future (but we lack time as it is)
66 > 'emerge gnome-office' and off you go. I suppose KDE could create similar
67 > meta ebuilds.
68
69 ok, we can do this with gnome-office and so on, but it's a lot of
70 overloading...
71
72 I'd say, after all these opinions, the conclusion would be that gentoo is not
73 desktop oriented, but the desktop project handle the dekstop software, and make
74 sure they work great together, that's all.
78 >> Now if the guy has to configure each workstation, it's not very convenient...
79 >
80 > Humm, that wouldn't be a bright guy.
81
82 hmm, I have to say : they are not bright most of the cases :) When you have to
83 handle customers, the reality may affraid
84
85 > It would be better to work from one
86 > 'image' machine in a workstation situation. I don't really see how you
87 > mean configuration beyond that. User configuration is ok by default
88 > mostly (at least for GNOME) and it is up to them to alter it to their
89 > preference.
90 >
91 > - foser
92 >