From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:50:11
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:19:43 +0200 Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | What about !arch or something (to connect with the one reply to the
5 > | summary thread) to really indicate unstable on that arch? Should
6 > | cover those things that sorda work on the arch, but you rather want
7 > | developers or experienced users that can patch bugs to look at it ...
8 >
9 > Those go in per-profile package.masks. It's more flexible than a
10 > keyword.
11
12 This is true, however it requires users to possibly make a gazillion
13 entries in their /etc/portage/package.unmask if they want to use a lot
14 of what are considered truly unstable packages. You might say they
15 could just symlink their profile package.mask to
16 /etc/portage/package.unmask, but then, maybe somebody doesn't want to
17 unmask *everything* in there. You can argue that the extra effort
18 required ensures that only competent and persistent users are testing
19 this software, but I'm not sure that is the case (note that I don't have
20 any good way to justify this statement...just speculation).
21
22 Anyway, getting to my point, I think small arches such as mips would
23 benefit from reducing the barriers required to test this sort of stuff.
24 I know I've probably abused ~arch by the strictest definitions on
25 several occasions. Otherwise, I would be practically the *only* person
26 testing things, and that is not a good way to uncover bugs. Only
27 widespread use of the packages will really bring these out, which I
28 think could be better achieved with the addition of a truly "unstable"
29 keyword like az is suggesting. Just my 2 cents...
30
31 -Steve
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list