From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:49:51
1 Hello
2
3 I am a bit surprised handbook still doesn't suggest people to create a
4 separate partition for /usr/portage tree. I remember my first Gentoo
5 systems had it inside / and that lead to a lot of fragmentation, much
6 slower "emerge -pvuDN world" (I benchmarked it when I changed my
7 partitioning scheme to put /usr/portage) separate and a lot of disk
8 space lost (I remember portage tree reached around 3 GB of disk space
9 while I am now running with 300MB)
10
11 Could handbook suggest people to put /usr/portage on a different
12 partition then? The only doubt I have is what filesystem would be better
13 for it, in my case I am using reiserfs with tail enabled, but maybe you
14 have other different setups.
15
16 Thanks for discussing this :)