From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ewarn and package upgrades
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:01:27
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 07:40:02 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 7:32 AM, <portage@localhost> wrote:
5 > > WARN: postinst
6 > > Please rebuild both libxcb and xcb-util if you are upgrading from
7 > > version 1.6
10 > I've read enough warnings like this (many packages use them) that it
11 > occurred to me that perhaps there should be some better way of dealing
12 > with this.
13 >
14 > I realize we have a huge discussion going on about suggested depends
15 > and such which could resolve it long-term. If that really doesn't
16 > work out, then perhaps at least it would be useful if it were obvious
17 > in ELOG messages what the old and new version were, or some other
18 > stopgap measure. Bonus points if the ebuild can figure it out and
19 > only generate the warning conditionally, but I'd be happy if I could
20 > just delete the message without having to figure out what version I
21 > was previously running...
22 >
23 > Rich
26 REPLACING_VERSIONS and REPLACED_BY_VERSION added in EAPI 4 can be used
27 to do this things with elog messages.