From: Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP #14: security updates based on GLSA
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:50:18
1 Am Freitag, 22. August 2003 19:19 schrieb Marius Mauch:
2 > Everything in the GLEP is open for discussion, please share your
3 > questions/comments/concerns with the other people on this list
4
5 just a few suggestions from me:
6 I would remove the 'severity' attribute from the dtd. It depends on your
7 local configuration wether a software bug is critical for your systems
8 or not. Btw. who will explain the difference between 'high' and
9 'critical'. On my systems 'high' *is* 'critical'.
10 A GLSA is per se important and needs attention, imho there is no need to
11 differentiate it further, and every admin has to decide for himself
12 respectively.
13
14 For admin's convinience, I would like to have an optional URL element,
15 which can contain a location, where the bug is discussed (in addition
16 to the CVE, which is not available in every case). The URL could point
17 to the mailinglist of the program developers or other serious sources
18 like security lists. This would just help the admin to get more
19 information about the bug.
20
21 I would like to second Calebs suggestion to sign GLSAs. Besides there is
22 need for a central Security page at www.gentoo.org, where users and
23 admins get some hints how the security related communication works (Who
24 creates and checks GLSAs, which public keys are used, a.s.o.)
25
26 My last point: The last few weeks, there were no new GLSAs, but some
27 security related discussions elsewhere (unzip, gdm, XDMCP and others).
28 There were no statements or GLSAs from Gentoo about such stories. It
29 would be nice to have some kind of feedback, that the security team is
30 aware of current problems. I would like to see GLSAs in a regular
31 schedule, with status reports, which exploits, bugs and incidents are
32 currently under examination. Imho GLSAs must not provide bugfixes in
33 every case, they can provide only information, too. So the element
34 'fixed' in the dtd should allow the value 'none', when it is important,
35 that Gentoo users get security related information without providing a
36 solution in form of a software update.
37
38 that's all for the moment,
39 Karsten
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list