From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: spams@×××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:25:43
1 On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 10:52, Phil Richards wrote:
2 > On 2004-02-27, John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
3 > > It is not the same thing. If Xfree86 can be argued to be a standard
4 > > componet of a system Gentoo can COMPLY with the Xfree86 License AND be
5 > > compatible with the GPL for those applications linking wiht Xfree86.
6 >
7 > Yes, but the point is it *can't* be argued sensibly. The argument put
8 > forward was (basically) "it makes the system more acceptable to end-users".
9 > Well, so would including "Microsoft Office".
10 >
11 > You *don't* need XFree86 to make a Linux-based operating system. Period.
12 > No question, no argument, no discussion. It is therefore *not* one of
13 > the "standard libraries that accompany the operating system" - the only
14 > get-out-of-jail-free card that the GPL allows you to play. It is an
15 > add-on to the core operating system for specific end-users - those that
16 > want a user interface.
17 >
18 > You could build a distribution that didn't violate the GPL, but you
19 > might find that people wouldn't like it very much - there are lots of
20 > things that are GPL'd that you would no longer be able to distrbute with
21 > it. (Not everything, only those that link against X - like Gnome, gtk...)
22 >
23 > I think these arguments have been done to death already... I'll shut up now.
24 >
25 > phil
26
27 I think you are wrong. ;) I think it *can* be argued sensibly. For these
28 reasons.
29
30 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
31 2. GNU (as in Gnu Public License) seems to regard the X Windows System
32 as a core system component.
33
34 All you *need* for a linux based operating system is linux and a static
35 binary called /sbin/init. Clearly the "Base system" referred to in GPL
36 extends to more than that.
37
38 Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
39 not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
40 far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
41 implementation.
42
43 -John