From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-free software in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:32:20
1 On 12/30/2009 11:48 PM, Greg KH wrote:
2 >
3 > Heh, no, it does not, unless your BIOS, and your keyboard firmware, and
4 > your mouse firmware are all under a "free" license. The only thing
5 > close to this type of machine is the OLPC, and even then, I don't think
6 > all the microcode for the box was ever released.
7 >
8 > So it's a pointless effort.
9
10 Actually, you describe the futility of the effort, not the pointlessness
11 of the effort. The fact that an effort is difficult or even futile does
12 not make it pointless. Some might disagree about it being impossible as
13 well (there are open-source BIOS implementations, for example).
14
15 I'm sure the people who have such philosophies try to run free software
16 anytime that it is possible. They might not be able to run free
17 software on their microwave, but if one came out with an open-source
18 firmware they'd probably try to buy it. I don't see this as being
19 inconsistent, just practical. The fact that they can't buy an
20 open-source toaster or mouse doesn't mean that they can't use an
21 open-source kernel.
24 > Hint, these firmware blobs do not run on your processor, so they have
25 > nothing to do with the license of your "system".
26
27 I'm not really sure where you're coming up with this argument. The
28 purpose of a license is to ALLOW you to do something you otherwise
29 wouldn't be allowed to do. Licenses don't actually take away rights,
30 they grant them. Laws do take away rights. There is a law that says
31 that if I write a program and give it to you, you can't copy it and give
32 it to somebody else. However, if I give you a license to copy the file
33 under some conditions, then you can copy it legally if you follow those
34 conditions. Nowhere in copyright law is the word "processor" found or
35 implied - the technology used to copy is also irrelevant except to the
36 degree that it impacts fair use.
37
38 When you run software you aren't distributing it. The concept of a
39 use-license is a bit blurry - some people think that you don't need a
40 license to use software, and other people think you do. I don't believe
41 that court rulings are as uniform on the topic of use as they are on the
42 concept of copying. In any case, the GPL v2 does not in any way attempt
43 to restrict or grant the rights to use software - only to distribute it.
44 GPL v3 is a bit murkier in this regard, but irrelevant to a discussion
45 on the kernel.
48 > Again, no, the GPLv2 covers the license of all of the code you run in
49 > the kernel package.
50
51 The concern isn't about RUNNING the software - it is about DISTRIBUTING
52 the software.
53
54 > And again, you do not run those firmware images on your processor, so
55 > the point is moot.
56
57 Sure you do - you run them on your sound card processor, or your video
58 capture card processor, or whatever. However, the concern isn't running
59 the software, it is redistributing it.
62 > And note, _I_ placed those images in the kernel image, after consulting
63 > lawyers about this issue, so it's not like I don't know what I am
64 > talking about here.
65
66 Did they say that the GPLv2 applied to the entire tarball containing the
67 firmware? Or did they simply state that building/running kernels using
68 the tarball was legal?
69
70 Nobody is saying that the presence of the proprietary bits violates the
71 GPL (v1, v2, OR v3). You're not doing anything illegal.
72
73 However, the tarball is not licensed under the GPLv2. I can't modify
74 that tarball at will, for example, and redistribute it. If I modify 10
75 bytes in the middle of one of those firmware blobs, reassemble the
76 tarball, and post that on my website, I can be sued by the maker of that
77 firmware blob. I haven't violated the GPL in doing any of that - the
78 problem is that the firmware blob isn't licensed under the GPL.
79
80 The license to redistribute the gentoo-sources tarball is NOT GPLv2 - it
81 is GPLv2 for 98% of it, and a mix of other licenses for the rest. I
82 don't own a keyspan usb serial device, but that doesn't mean I can
83 modify the usa28.fw file and put it in a kernel tarball on my website,
84 as the license for that file SPECIFICALLY states that I'm not allowed to
85 do this and it is copyrighted. Doing this doesn't violate the GPL, but
86 the GPL doesn't apply to this file.
87
88 The point of this thread is that the gentoo-sources package is
89 mislabeled as GPLv2 when the entire package is not licensed under GPL
90 v2. Nobody is saying that it is illegal to distribute gentoo-sources,
91 only that it cannot be entirely distributed solely under GPLv2.