From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 17:03:55
1 On 08/31/14 12:30, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:28:00 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> This is kinda silly. The point is that all PM's generate certain
5 >> information at build time and *should* cache it for later use.
6 > The historical view of VDB being some kind of "cache" rather than a "DB"
7 > is one of the reasons we're having to tidy up the dynamic dependencies
8 > mess...
11 Indeed, some of VDB might not be something we wish to mandate as
12 "cache". But some of it should be, like the examples I gave. This is
13 our opportunity to think this out carefully and only export what is
14 meaningfully cacheable information. So when I submit version 2, let's
15 keep that in mind with respect to any of the items I say should be "cached".
18 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
19 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
20 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
21 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
22 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA