From: Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Keyword amd64 -> x86_64
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:05:12
1 On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 7:30 AM, Olivier Crête <tester@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I really don't see the problem with AMD64, why it would be more wrong
4 > than ia32 or x86 (based on Intel's product numbers!). AMD64 was invented
5 > by AMD and they get to pick the name for it. The keyword amd64 in Gentoo
6 > when Intel was still dismissing AMD64...
9 I agree completely with Olivier, we use x86 based on Intel numbering,
10 because it was they who created it. We use amd64 because it was AMD
11 and not Intel who made the breakthrough. It is not only technically
12 correct, but also morally correct, by giving attribution
15 Ioannis Aslanidis
16
17 <deathwing00[at]gentoo.org> 0xB9B11F4E
18 éí¢‡^¾X¬¶ÈžÚ(¢¸&j)bž b²