From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 2.0.51 comments/questions
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:48:21
1 On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 23:52, Duncan wrote:
2 > OK, I've been running portage 2.0.51-whatever for several releases, and
3 > it's certainly beginning to shape up nicely! Here are some
4 > comments/questions/suggestions, FWTW..
5 >
6 > 1) The new "spinner" is /very/ cool!
7
8 New eye candy?
9
10 OOh... and how do I view this new whiz-bang feature of portage?
11
12 *grin*
13
14 > 2) Documentation is coming alone nicely.
15 >
16 > It's nice to see updated 2.0.51 versions of the various man pages, now.
17 >
18 > I'm seeing a couple things missing still, tho. The main one I noticed was
19 > the portage (5) manpage doesn't list the new /etc/portage/profile yet.
20 > Also, an earlier einfo mentioned /etc/portage/profiles/virtuals while the
21 > new inject depreciated message mentions
22 > /etc/portage/profile/package.provided. I assume these are supposed to
23 > both be the same dir, but don't know whether it's profile or profiles.
24 > Granted, a typo or changed policy is fine, but without documentation
25 > confirming one or the other as right, I'm left guessing.
26
27 profiles
28
29 > 3) What about the QA Notices?
30 >
31 > Evidently .51 is rather stricter in some things than .50 and a number of
32 > things are QA Notices now that were silent, before. Are things to the
33 > point where it's worthwhile bugging the various ebuilds that emit these
34 > notices, illegal eclass inheritance and the like, or are there still
35 > enough of them it'd just be unnecessary noise?
36
37 I think we're getting close to time to start writing bugs for the
38 ebuilds that don't have them already. I would think most of the worst
39 offenders already have bugs.
40
41 > What about that security notice I've seen pop up a few times? Example:
42 >
43 > QA Notice: Security risk /usr/bin/crontab. Please consider relinking with
44 > 'append-ldflags -Wl,-z,now' to fix.
45 >
46 > What's this mean? What are the implications? How do I do that relinking
47 > if I decide I need to? Can I fix it by enabling a feature in make.conf
48 > or do I run a separate command? Either way, there's not enough info there
49 > to actually DO it, nor do I even have enough info to rightly evaluate the
50 > "security risk"!
51
52 Actually, that is more a message for the developer. You can perform the
53 same function locally with the LDFLAGS variable in your make.conf, but
54 really the package should be fixed by the developer by adding the
55 "append-ldflags -Wl,-z,now" to the ebuilds, as stated by the emerge
56 process. This has all been since sfperms was added to the default
57 FEATURES.
58
59 > There's simply not enough there to be anything but a teaser, yet it's
60 > labeled security risk. Someone's being *MEAN* with their teasing! =:^\
61
62 Blame solar... if that doesn't work, blame vapier... I'm sure it is his
63 fault somehow...
64
65 I definitely agree, though. We shouldn't be spewing out "This could
66 allow people to own your box" messages without spewing out "...and
67 here's how to fix it" messages that are just as easy to understand.
70 Chris Gianelloni
71 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
72 Games - Developer
73 Gentoo Linux
74
75 Is your power animal a penguin?