From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed md5sum change
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:39:36
1 On Thursday 12 June 2003 18:31, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Replies are below...
5 <cut>
6 > instead of doing any db-style stuff, just create a file along side (w/in
7 > the distfile dir most likely) that contains the uncompressed data's
8 > md5sum. If you go about creating a db type setup, you're going to run
9 > into major issues in an environment where the distfiles dir is shared
10 > out to other systems since you're not going to be sharing the db.
11
12 Keeping them in the distdir might create a mess, so I don't know about this
13 one, but keeping the md5sums in an easilly exported area is certainly no bad
14 idea.
15
16 > Basically I could see this- a simple script that a user can use to
17 > convert non-gz distfiles to bzip2 tarballs which creates the file (think
18 > linux-2.4.19.tar.bz2 and linux-2.4.19.tar.md5)... for distfile
19 > diffing/patching, it uses the same method. If the reconstructed and
20 > recompressed verion's md5 matches what portage has, hoozah, no need to
21 > create the file- if not (say upgrading openoffice), we create the file.
22 > Also, it dawned on me that md5summing the data has an added bonus of
23 > being indifferent to the patching/differencing method. In other words,
24 > we could use the standard unified diff's that are provided for the
25 > kernel versions for instance.
26 >
27 > As for transforming, would it really be needed? I've spent a bit of
28 > time rooting through the distfile dir and I don't recall seeing
29 > non-versioned names, although as always, I could be wrong.
30 >
31 You are wrong there are even auxiliary files in the distfiles repository.
32 Unversioned tarbals are though, certainly not helping to get a package into
33 the repository. Sometimes we provide a versioned version of a tarbal on the
34 portage mirrors.
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze