From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About adding a *warning* to remind maintainers to check for new PYTHON_COMPAT values
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 14:23:12
1 On 07/10/2017 11:35 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:43:43 +0200
3 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Yes, but it's similar as the cases when we need to fix our packages
6 >> to work with a newer library they depend on. In this case it would be
7 >> even easier as we can have multiple python versions and switch to the
8 >> newer one for testing while going back to the stable one (if
9 >> preferred) later.
12 > I'm starting to think we need a collection of QA scripts in a repo
13 > somewhere, optimized for symlinking into /etc/portage/hooks/install/
14 >
15 > And make it standard practice for:
16 >
17 > - Gentoo Devs to have those scripts
18 > - Tinderboxers' to have those scripts
19 >
20 > That's going to be the only way we can get these warnings in ways
21 > *developers* will see them, but:
22 >
23 > 1. Won't needlessly clutter stable users systems
24 > 2. Won't produce loads of ebuild bumps that do waves of metadata
25 > updates for things that don't affect end users.
26 >
27 > Presently the only things *like* this require hard-coded QA logic into
28 > portage itself, which, while useful, pulls us back to the whole problem
29 > where it might affect users, and becomes tightly coupled to portage's
30 > release cycle.
31 >
32 > We could however make things simpler, and have a package that installs
33 > these QA hacks into the hooks dir for us, and then it would be a matter
34 > of simply installing them via opt-in
35 In addition to the checks that are bundled, Portage already natively
36 supports custom post-install QA checks in:
37
38 * /usr/local/lib/install-qa-check.d
39 * /usr/lib/install-qa-check.d
40 * $REPO/metadata/install-qa-check.d
41
42 It's just a matter of someone writing and shipping them. I've been very
43 slowly preparing a collection based on the common type of tinderboxing
44 bugs that are filed and porting parts of lintian, but I haven't finished
45 yet.