From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: jmbsvicetto@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:19:59
1 On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 00:06:45 +0000
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 31-08-2012 20:46, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 >
9 > <snip>
10 >
11 > > Also, we're getting rather a lot of *DEPEND variables here... If
12 > > we're making people make major changes to their deps, which for
13 > > HDEPEND we definitely would be, then the "it's expensive since
14 > > people would have to redo their deps" argument against a combined
15 > > DEPENDENCIES variable goes out of the window, so we should rethink
16 > > that too.
17 >
18 > I have to agree with Ciaran, instead of multiplying DEPEND variables,
19 > it's probably time we move to a single DEPENDENCIES variable.
20
21 Well, if you really insist that Gentoo is the right place to reinvent
22 the wheel of bash variables...
23
24 If we really want to go this route, then please at least require
25 explicit label at start of DEPENDENCIES. And the same when appending to
26 DEPENDENCIES -- just so 'unlikely' mistakes will leave us with hours of
27 debugging.
28
29 Furthermore, please think of eclasses. They *all* will have to append
30 dependencies in two ways, in an EAPI-conditional way. Exherbo doesn't
31 have that problem because they don't care about backwards
32 compatibility. We will support old EAPIs for at least few years if not
33 until the end of Gentoo. Not that appending dependencies in eclasses is
34 really that good idea.
35
36 Remember that this requirement will actually cause migration to EAPI 5
37 to be even harder than to any previous EAPIs. Migrating a single ebuild
38 will require rewriting the dependencies, and migrating an eclass will
39 require adding a lot of dirty code. Especially if it is python.eclass.
40
41 And we will have to convert them back to old-style dependencies anyway.
42 For the sake of compatibility with external tools.
43
44 And as a final note, on a request from ulm, I have created a wiki page
45 where you could list all proposed new dependency types so we can have
46 a broader look when deciding:
47
48 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Future_EAPI/New_dependency_types
51 Best regards,