From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IA64 Arch status
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 12:44:46
1 On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o> wrote:
2 > I'm hoping to get some feedback from the community as to what should be
3 > supported and what can be reduced. My overall plan as I mentioned in a
4 > previous email to reduce the total number of keywords for ia64 to a more
5 > manageable level. I'd like to continue to have ia64 be a stable arch for
6 > gentoo for as long as it makes sense.
7
8 For example, you could choose to skip keywording Qt5... as more and
9 more apps and Qt-based libraries transition from Qt4 to Qt5, the
10 number of keyworded/stable packages will also drop for ia64, since you
11 will gradually lose all packages that have become Qt5-only.
12
13 If you're looking for an immediate reduction of ia64 packages, you can
14 go a step further and drop Qt4 keywording as well (maybe with the
15 exception of dev-qt/qtcore which is needed by some non-GUI apps),
16 especially considering that ia64 is server-oriented, and that all your
17 machines don't have a video card.
18
19 These are just some random suggestions; if the ia64 arch team is
20 interested, let us (the qt team) know so that we can figure out the
21 details together.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Davide