From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hardening a default profile
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:20:47
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 On Sun, Jun 11, 2017, at 16:39 CDT, Michael Brinkman <thygreatswaggedone@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > So I was just wondering if ~arch is ready for more secure defaults on
6 > the 17.0 profiles in the linker flags. There are several
7 > distributions which ship RELRO by default and I am not aware of any
8 > performance issues regarding this.
9
10 We (i.e. toolchain) are in the process of enabling quite a number of
11 security hardening features on default profiles. In particular
12
13 - (force) +pie +ssp for gcc-6 onwards in 17.0 profiles
14
15 - enable additional hardening features for glibc-2.25 and newer
16 (will be merged soon).
17
18 But, yes. Updated linker flags are a very good point. I have put updated
19 linker flags on the toolchain meeting agenda for next week.
22 The hardened profiles (even used without a hardened kernel) will serve
23 an important difference in the future. While we try to enable as many
24 security features on default profiles as possible, we have to compromise
25 between security features and not introducing regressions. The hardened
26 profiles will thus have more aggressive security features enabled for
27 the foreseeable future (at the cost of more potential breakage).
28
29 Best,
30 Matthias