From: Tom Payne <twp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:02:27
1 On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 06:49:12PM -0500, Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 18:23, Tom Payne wrote:
3 > > hardened Gentoo meaning stack overflow protection, toolchain mods, etc. etc.
4 > > is different to harder-to-exploit PHP. Hardened PHP (AIUI) is more like Safe
5 > > mode in Ruby (and other scripting languages). The two are different things
6 > > and should not be confused.
7 >
8 > No, it means the same thing. From the hardened php site:
9
10 Ooops, my bad. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I'm trying to work out
11 "if I want hardened gentoo, do I always want hardened php?" and vice versa,
12 as would be implied by the two having the same USE flag. To me, hardening
13 the system vs. hardening a web scripting language are two separate things
14 (i.e. you could want one without the other) but I haven't yet come up with a
15 convincing argument for this :-)
18 Tom
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list