From: Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:11:31
1 On 11/03/2022 21.51, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 3/11/2022 13:25, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
7 >> The new workflow with pkgcheck was announced at the end of 2019:
8 >> https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2019/12/12/a-better-ebuild-workflow-with-pure-git-and-pkgcheck
9 >>
10 >> It's been 2 years, I think we can bring everyone into the fold here.
11 >
12 > I've searched my -dev archives for part of that URL, and the only hits I am
13 > getting is this e-mail thread. Was this URL previously shared on this
14 > mailing list or another? I do not track the Gentoo Blogs, so unless
15 > something is shared to the mailing lists, I will likely miss it.
16 >
17 > That said, I will admit I am uncomfortable with post-commit, pre-push
18 > validation. I get that git is vastly different, and vastly superior, to
19 > CVS. Get it right the first time, and you don't have to worry about fixing
20 > it later -- CVS teaches you that very well, and it still works well for git
21 > workflows. Going back into git post-commit to fix things is still something
22 > I need to learn more about, as my git-fu is still pretty amateurish beyond
23 > the common basics. Especially when dealing with kernel patch maintenance
24 > and maintaining lots of small, discrete changes that kernel upstream prefers.
27 Just to note, when using pkgdev, I use mainly the command `pkgdev commit
28 -as`, which stands for auto add files in current working pkg and run
29 scan *before commit* - which is identical to `repoman full -dx`.
30
31 I think I'm going to add configuration mode to pkgdev, so you can set
32 scan mode to on by default (you can pass `--scan false` to disable it).
35 Arthur Zamarin
36 arthurzam@g.o
37 Gentoo Linux developer (Python, GURU)

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature