From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unstable/testing keywords
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:05:37
1 On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > There is stable and not stable. Whether you call what is not stable
4 > "unstable" or "testing" does not matter, as Gentoo does not
5 > differentiate between the two. FWIW, I think that using the word testing
6 > implies some sort of path to stable, which is not the case with many
7 > packages. I prefer to say unstable.
8
9 While your reasoning is sound, I think the word "unstable" carries a
10 negative connotation that isn't really warranted for most of the
11 testing tree: that something is not stable does not imply that it is
12 unstable, it only implies that whether it is stable isn't really
13 known. So I, too, would prefer if we used some other term to describe
14 the not-stable tree/keyword.
15
16 Cheers,
17