From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reviving the Sandbox project
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:54:33
1 W dniu czw, 21.09.2017 o godzinie 23∶33 +0300, użytkownik Mart Raudsepp
2 napisał:
3 > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 21.09.2017 kell 21:56, kirjutas Michał Górny:
4 > > Hi, everyone.
5 > >
6 > > TL;DR: I'm looking for new people to resume work on sandbox, and I
7 > > will
8 > > most likely branch it at v2.10 and start keep-alive work on top of
9 > > that.
12 > > The state of our sandbox is not very well. Gentoo is currently using
13 > > the old v2.10 with local patches. v2.11 is p.masked for a long time
14 > > because of multiple unsolved bugs. The git repository also includes
15 > > v2.12 tag that has not even been packaged for Gentoo. From what I've
16 > > been able to establish, the bugs causing v2.11 mask are still present
17 > > in git head.
18 > >
19 > > To add to this, the only person maintaining the code (vapier) has not
20 > > touched it since March, and AFAIA he's not responding to any contact
21 > > attempts from within Gentoo. Given this and the importance of sandbox
23 > > Gentoo at the moment, I think it's reasonable to presume he's MIA
24 > > and start looking for volunteers to join the effort.
25 > >
26 > > I have already added myself to the project page [1] and I'm going to
27 > > try
28 > > to put some effort into improving the state of things. However, I'm
29 > > not
30 > > really an expert in the high magic used in sandbox. If anyone is
31 > > interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself as well.
34 > > The above considered, I don't think I'm really going to be able to
35 > > solve
36 > > the problems introduced by v2.11. If nobody has a better idea, I'm
37 > > going
38 > > to branch sandbox at v2.10 and look into backporting whatever's
39 > > feasible
40 > > and resuming development in hotfix mode on top of that.
41 >
42 > Do you have a handy list of problems with v2.11?
43 > Perhaps all is well for Gentoo usages after the more ptrace-happy
44 > fallbacking commit (apparently was needed by ChromeOS) is reverted if
45 > ptrace-path problems don't get fixes?
48 There are two bugs listed in p.mask reason. There's a lot of bugs on
49 Bugzilla but I don't know which versions they affect.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny