From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:55:18
1 On Sunday 08 January 2006 15:01, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Guessing you missed the previous flame war about how trying to force
3 > people to do something doesn't actually work?
4
5 When it's not common sense, that every dev is supposed to do a minimal on
6 general QA, Gentoo has a problem.
7
8 > You're assuming seasoned devs don't occasionally go MIA on
9 > QA/maintenance? It's not the case...
10
11 I did not assume anything, I propose better QA.
12
13 > > but would slowdown those who continually add new
14 > > packages [ snip vitriolic opinions ]
15
16 Thanks for calling something a vitriolic opinion, I did notice a few times, so
17 it's a description of what's happening, but does not imply the majority of
18 devs do so.
19
20 > If you've got an issue with certain devs (seems to be the case from
21 > your statement), take it up with QA/ombudsman, not the loop
22 > around attempt you're doing here.
23 >
24 > If you're after trying to decrease the unmaintained packages, like I
25 > said, generate a list _from the tree_, compare it to bugs, etc. Do
26 > the legwork, kick off the effort to cover the gap.
27 >
28 > Basically, you want to decrease bugs for unmaintained, decrease the
29 > gap of maintained vs unmaintained, work on _that_ rather then trying
30 > to force everyone to drop what they're doing and fix an issue they're
31 > already working on at their own pace.
32 >
33 > Folks *are* handling retirement of unmaintained packages, and taking
34 > on maintainance of packages already- just watch -dev for the
35 > occasional announcements if you think otherwise.
36
37 To answer this paragraph in a short sentence: No, it doesn't work at the
38 moment, and yes I'd like everyone would be urged to care a bit more, not
39 leaving the legwork to a single person or small group, accepting that devs
40 can feel as irresponsible as they like.
43 Carsten