From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Hangouts
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:43:30
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 24 Jun 2013, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
4 > I've worked on a VC system most of last year and I now go
5 > through regular conferences... it's barely okay from a work
6 > point of view, it takes lots of time to organize so you don't
7 > want to do that every single day for sure.
8
9 It depends how you run it. We have teams having a video thing
10 open during the day with there geographically-diverse other team
11 members and it works well for them. For those teams, it also
12 improves cohesion. Geographically-diverse teams always have to
13 actively fight the us-vs-them vibe that seems to be fundamental
14 human nature. Aforementioned video link is part of that.
15
16 > And unlike IRC meetings, you can cannot multitask, say making
17 > your dinner while discussing this or that feature.
18
19 As others have pointed out, this is a double edged sword:
20 Sometimes, having less distraction (or getting away with less
21 distraction) is a Good Thing.
22
23 > A VC is a full commitment, and its attractiveness is often much
24 > higher _before_ you use it..
25
26 This does not hold true for me. I'd never used VC before joining
27 my current company, and I love it -- iff the alternative is not
28 meeting at all or text-only. As I pointed out above, it is
29 crucial for team cohesion.
30
31 The basic question is: why do you do it? what do you want to get
32 out of it? If you just want to have a get-together, like going to
33 the pub together for a few beers, all prep it needs is finding a
34 time. And beer, maybe.
35
36 If you want to have a distincly productive meeting, you need an
37 agenda/goals and someone to _run_ the meeeting. But that is true
38 of IRC meetings, too.
39
40 About the only thing that IRC meetings are invariably better at,
41 is logging. Note, however, that logging is no replacment for
42 agendas or summarizing the outcome of the meeting.
43
44 Regards,
45 Tobias