From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:38:14
1 Ciaran,
4 On 06/19/10 21:16, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > No, that's the nice thing about delivering a product based upon
6 > technical merit: most of the time, there are right answers and there
7 > are wrong answers, and careful investigation and good management can
8 > lead to it being determined which is which.
9
10 I think you neglect differences in values.
11
12 Say the degree of backwards-compatibility: there's no wrong nor right
13 without values. Both sides have pros and cons.
16 > Collaboration works when good ideas get kept and bad ideas get dropped.
17 > Collaboration fails when good ideas are rejected because people don't
18 > like who came up with them
19
20 If you had better tone it would be much easier to accept the good among
21 your ideas.
24 > or the tone in which they were presented, or
25 > when bad ideas are kept around to avoid hurting the feelings of the
26 > people who came up with those ideas.
27
28 Saying "no" politely is hard, not impossible.
31 >>> Personally, I'd like to see Gentoo start having the kinds of people
32 >>> who deliver a better product, not the kinds of people who worry
33 >>> that using a gender-ambiguous cow as a logo might be offensive.
34 >>
35 >> I don't consider that comment respectful.
36 >
37 > But do you consider it to be correct?
38
39 No, I don't. I have said "technical is not our main problem" many times.
40
41 Best,
45 Sebastian