From: "Philippe Lafoucrière" <lafou@×××××××.fr>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Weekly News Letter - "Where is Gentoo Linux 1.4"
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:03:10
1 > There are two versions: release versions and profile versions.
2 >
3 > Release versions _only apply to install media_.
7 > Profile versions (such as default-x86-1.4) define the characteristics of
8 > your installed system.
9
10 I know that. This is not cleary explained on gentoo website. Newbies may
11 be confused about that.
12
13 > 1.4 isn't out because it's not ready. Frankly, I can cook you up a
14 > half-baked LiveCD and set of stages with absolutely no value over rc4
15 > right now, if you're that obsessed with having something out there with
16 > '1.4' on it. Instead, we're trying to get you, the user, things like
17 > GRP, an enhanced LiveCD, automatic CFLAGS generation and kernel initrd
18 > creation, and so on.
19
20 That what I said. What's wrong with rc4 livecd ? Gentoo is experiencing
21 some bad use of RCs. RC is a release Candidate. It means that no more
22 feature would appear between 2 RCs. A new RC is just fixed bugs.
23
24 Here is some confusion between RC and BETA I think. Since you add some
25 features, Gentoo 1.4 RC4 is in fact GENTOO 1.4 BETA4 (yeah, it sucks).
26
27 > Futurely we will probably be removing 'rc' from the version number
28 > because it suggests 'beta' to people, which is not the case. We will
29 > probably move to a system like 1.5, 1.5.1, 1.5.2...
30
31 I hope. User/Newbies would better understand.
32
33 > I am not sure what you mean by 'project leader' - do you think that
34 > currently there is nobody in charge at all? Perhaps you can elaborate
35 > here. (Daniel Robbins is effectively our 'project leader' - I am the
36 > releases coordinator.)
37
38 I've never seen a mail of Daniel Robbins here. I saw his name on
39 gentoo.org, and some IBM articles (developper works).Gentoo management
40 is really "opaque".
41
42 > What kinds of communication are you looking for? When anyone has asked,
43 > I have been happy to tell them what's going on with releases. With
44 > regards to a roadmap, what kind of roadmap? For what in particular?
45 > Portage? Releases?
46
47 First, for that:
48
49 """
50 * Baselayout independent of tmpfs
51 * CFLAGS documentation or a tool that gives CFLAGS-building
52 functionality
53 * GRP creation and testing
54 * Kernelscript to help ppl configure their kernel
55 """
56
57 You'll have to read all newsletters to find such infos. Newbies won't.
58 Maybe we lack a section on the gentoo website.
59
60 > Looking for constructive suggestions
61
62 Take a look at a simple but precise Roadmap :
63 http://kopete.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=roadmap
64
65 note : there are no dates in front of tasks !
66
67 This would help so much since volonteers would help on remaining tasks,
68 instead of asking every time.
71 best regards
72 Philippe
76 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list