From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default src_install for EAPI-2 or following EAPI
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:22:57
1 "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> posted
2 b41005390809211835h39f5a359k571e9693f7db1630@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:35:04 -0700:
4
5 > gentoo-x86 uses bash; the ebuilds, the eclasses, they all rely on it.
6 > I'm pretty sure most package managers rely on bash as well, but I have
7 > not looked at the code outside of portage to verify.
8 >
9 > I really dislike ideas where the compelling argument is 'in the future
10 > we may make a specific decision and that makes that one choice easier.'
11
12 > If you have a compelling argument for switching the entire tree to POSIX
13 > then give it; however I'm pretty sure it is a difficult argument to make
14 > (Uberlord tried to make it in the past and did not succeed). Otherwise
15 > lets just roll with the bash implementation.
16
17 ++
18
19 This seems to be what it comes down to. Based on past discussion, while
20 individual devs can go POSIX and nobody's going to complain, indeed,
21 they're likely to be respected for taking that position in regard to
22 /their/ /own/ /code/, there's sufficient resistance to making /all/ devs
23 favor POSIX over BASH that it's effectively not even rational to
24 contemplate it at this time, nor is it likely to be for a dev generation
25 or more. Trying to do otherwise is /perceived/ as (note I didn't say it
26 was the /intent/ of, only /perceived/ as) trying to force POSIX down the
27 throat of others, and given the current state requiring bash, turns that
28 respect for devs doing it for their own work on its head -- they're then
29 seen as being an active danger to the ability of devs who don't
30 differentiate between POSIX sh and BASH to continue as devs in good
31 Gentoo standing, with the entirely predictable reaction being to oppose
32 them at nearly any cost.
33
34 Which pretty much leaves Gentoo depending on BASH now and for the
35 foreseeable future, and there's little point in debating it further or
36 indeed, in "artificially" trying to reduce that dependence, except in
37 one's own work if desired. It's just not worth the fractious debates it
38 causes, particularly when the conclusion is predetermined based on past
39 iterations. We've lost very good developers on this issue in the past.
40 Let's not make it any more, OK?
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman