From: Bruno <bonbons67@××××××××.lu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Council] ChangeLog generation within Gentoo
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:35:44
1 On Wed, 26 October 2011 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > However, this also allows to do all kinds of other actions to the
3 > ChangeLog file, without actually adding an entry for the current change
4 > being committed, as we've already seen in practice.
5 > The Council would like to remind developers that it is still a
6 > requirement that all actions are documented in the ChangeLog and that it
7 > is hence the responsibility of the committing developer to make sure
8 > this requirement is met.
9
10 Is there some guideline about old entries in the ChangeLog?
11
12 Over the past months ChangeLogs represent a big part of the tree, some
13 of them being pretty big and going back many changes (hundreds of them)
14 and years (even for actively maintained ebuilds).
15
16 In order to not bloat the tree I would like to see old entries purged
17 when there are more than 25-50 of them, especially if they refer to
18 ebuilds gone since more than 3-6 months.
19 Someone in need for long gone ebuild would have to look at VCS anyhow, so
20 looking at ChangeLog/history over there would seem logical.
21
22 On a compressed tree (squashfs) dropping all ChangeLogs reduces size from
23 ~55MiB to around 35MiB which is quite a lot!
24
25 Bruno