From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:48:39
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 12/08/2013 05:25 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:52:08AM -0500, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
6 >> 1.) If we are going to stuff this into @system then we probably want a
7 >> USE=nonet flag to allow users to not pull anything in if they really
8 >> don't want it.
9 >
10 > We don't have to put this in @system at all. We could just have a
11 > virtual/network-manager, like we have virtual/cron, virtual/logger,
12 > virtual/mta, etc. None of these are installed by default; you have to
13 > choose one as part of your installation process. The more I read this
14 > thread, the more I agree with this approach; let the user make the
15 > choice as part of the installation process.
16 >
17 >> Just as a side note, after reading the thread up through this point, I'm
18 >> terrified of the individuals who wish to remove networking support from
19 >> stage3 entirely. If anyone wants to push that idea then that needs to
20 >> be addressed by the council. Period. Such a major change is going to
21 >> cause a holy war, and myself and others will actively revert any change
22 >> which removes net from stage3 under the guise of "critical breakage"
23 >> unless there is council direction that says we are no longer including
24 >> net support in the stage3s.
25 >
26 > I am in agreement with Rich and Peter. This isn't a matter of breaking
27 > the stages; it is a matter of us getting out of the way and letting the
28 > users pick the network stack they want. We do this for the kernel, boot
29 > loader, etc, so I don't understand why you feel we need council
30 > direction to make a similar change for the network manager.
33 I am softening a bit, but I'm really concerned that the stages all of a
34 sudden not having net is going to be an issue for people. Maybe I'm
35 mistaken, but it is hard for me to imagine that moving to a stage3 with
36 no net anything is an improvement. I suppose you can't download a
37 stage3 without net, so you should typically be able to just chroot in...
38 I can honestly say most of the time when setup my arm systems I'm
39 unpacking the arm stage3 on an amd64 and then booting the arm device
40 with the base stage3 and fixing things from there. I suppose it is
41 possible to use qemu to install things, as long as I don't mind
42 pretending it's 1999 due to the slow emulation speeds... Yeah, I really
43 don't see an improvement here. It works fine for "I'm an amd64 user and
44 that's all I'll ever use" but when you start talking about smaller
45 arches it really starts to become a hassle imho.
46
47 - -Zero