From: Chrissy Fullam <musikc@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Council Reminder for August 7
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:55:59
1 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > > > "Alec Warner" <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > > >> I'm a maintainer and I'll say right out that I won't fix things
4 > > >> unless they make sense to me; regardless of what some council says.
5 > > >
6 > > > Then I'd imagine devrel would have to step in.
7 > >
8 > > I highly doubt that would happen unless they want to risk alienating a
9 > > group of active, useful developers over a disagreement over an ebuild
10 > > format.
11 >
12 > So you're saying that devrel shouldn't and won't step in if developers
13 > refuse to go along with a council decision?
14
15 This centers around development and sounds like a QA issue first and
16 foremost. QA has a strong relationship with devrel and would undoubtedly
17 speak with devrel if they felt there was a QA violation that required devrel
18 intervention/review for any particular developer.
19 I believe this should address most questions:
20 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0048.html
21
22 > > There's a reason why Donnie pushed for having all Council agendas
23 > > publicly discussed on the gentoo-dev ML before they are given a formal
24 > > "stamp of approval" so that the ones deciding what gets in are the
25 > > ones who are actually going to use it.
26 >
27 > Except for council decisions involving having devrel fire people, of
28 > course. You may not be aware, but those are discussed in private on a
29 > different IRC network to stop those evil Freenode people who don't
30 > actually have any powers on Freenode from eavesdropping on secret
31 > conversations using the backdoor they placed in the code they didn't
32 > actually write.
33
34 Please leave the dragging devrel and council through the mud discussions out
35 of this as all you are doing is promoting further derailing of the
36 discussion.
39 Kind regards,
40 Christina Fullam
41 Gentoo Developer Relations Lead | Gentoo Public Relations