From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies that're available at pkg_*inst
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 05:27:26
1 On 05:54 Sat 19 Apr , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:45:13 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > I'd go with RDEPEND only. Any other interpretation results in
5 > > installing build-time-only packages along with a binpkg, which
6 > > doesn't seem to make sense.
7 >
8 > That's definitely not what we want. Only a package's DEPENDs have to be
9 > installed and usable when that package is built. Its RDEPENDs don't
10 > have to be installed until that package is treated as usable.
11
12 I previously failed to clarify the situation I preferred because either
13 1 or 2b qualify as requiring RDEPEND to be installed.
14
15 My interpretation is pkg_* counts as runtime (I can imagine a package
16 wanting to run itself at this point), so packages in RDEPEND should be
17 usable at that point. Really, it seems to be an additional type of
18 dependency that neither DEPEND or RDEPEND fully describe, and this
19 DEPEND+RDEPEND idea isn't quite capturing it either. I say this because
20 I wouldn't want everything in DEPEND installed with a binpkg so it can
21 run pkg_*, and I also can see how some people wouldn't consider a
22 package in a runnable state until pkg_* have finished (so thus RDEPEND
23 shouldn't be required).
24
25 > For why this matters:
26 >
27 > cat/a-1: RDEPEND cat/b
28 > cat/b-1: RDEPEND cat/a
29 >
30 > This is solvable. If package managers can't solve this, they can't
31 > install Gnome off a stage 3...
32
33 Dealing with this under my interpretation is a bit weird. I think it
34 might need some sort of staging area. That's one reason I mentioned the
35 additional dep type.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Donnie