From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 18:30:52
1 foser wrote: [Sat Jun 11 2005, 04:15:22AM EDT]
2 > Arch keywords are concepts and as such may not primarily be dealt as
3 > a an alphabetical list but as words in a sentence, there is no abc
4 > order in sentences.
5
6 Foser, no offense intended, but you started out in this thread making
7 a couple good points. However this is completely off the wall. The
8 KEYWORDS list isn't a sentence.
9
10 > If you have to search, you'll have
11 > to scan anyway, exact position is not a guarantee for certainty because
12 > not every pack is available on every arch, it's not like you can go
13 > without scanning.
14
15 Doesn't change the point that scanning in alpha order is easier than
16 scanning append order.
17
18 > Last, this only holds to some extent true for people
19 > in countries with alphabetic scripts, outside that limited part of the
20 > globe people are not as proficient in ordering alphabetically.
21
22 AFAIK, all Gentoo developers are fluent English speakers, even if for
23 some it isn't their first language.
24
25 > A certain amount of uncertainty in order actually might prove to be
26 > effective in having everyone who deals with keywords actually really
27 > check all keywords and not depend on assumptions, which both 'error'
28 > cases you mention seem to be caused by.
29
30 Maintaining a behavior that encourages mistakes, in hopes that the
31 extra effort required will prevent those mistakes? This cannot
32 possibly be a good approach...
33
34 IMHO the discussion in this thread has brought at least two things to
35 light, though I'm still open to rebuttal of course:
36
37 1. Potentially controversial tool changes that affect a large
38 number of developers should be discussed on -dev before
39 deployment. This is something I intend to do in the future.
40
41 2. In the case at hand, most developers prefer alpha order, and
42 there is not good reason for reverting the ekeyword change.
43 I still don't have the right to make this decision
44 unilaterally, though, so if foser or anybody else wants to take
45 this before the managers and request a vote, that is cool.
46
47 Regards,
48 Aron
51 Aron Griffis