From: Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] unstable/testing keywords
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:17:33
1 On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 01:59:37PM +0200, Ch??-Thanh Christopher Nguy???n wrote:
2 > Jack Morgan schrieb:
3 > > I find this confusing and hope to clear it up. According to emerge/portage
4 > > man pages we have stable keywords (ARCH) and unstable packages (~ARCH) while
5 > > the handbook[1] says we have stable keywords (ARCH) and testing keywords
6 > > (~ARCH).
7 >
8 > There is stable and not stable. Whether you call what is not stable
9 > "unstable" or "testing" does not matter, as Gentoo does not
10 > differentiate between the two. FWIW, I think that using the word testing
11 > implies some sort of path to stable, which is not the case with many
12 > packages. I prefer to say unstable.
13
14 This is not true based on the what the handbook says[1]. If fact this
15 email thread is about the disconnect in our developer community on what
16 the difference is between ARCH and ~ARCH. I can't find any documented
17 details for "unstable keywords" besides the man pages listed above.
18
19 From the recent council summary[2], there seems to be some difference in
20 perspective on its meaning. I can't tell if they in fact the council is
21 just talking about keywords or possible talking about "unstable/unsupported
22 architecture. Perhaps developers think they can be interchangable?
23
24 As others have pointed out, "unstable" or even "not stable" wasn't the
25 intended meaning. If the meaning has warped over time, then it should be
26 cleared up in a GLEP, handbook corrected, etc.
29 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=3
30 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20130917-summary.txt
33 Thanks,
34 --
35 Jack Morgan
36 Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>>
37 Fingerprint = DD42 EA48 D701 D520 C2CD 55BE BF53 C69B 761D 8E0A