From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 07:58:27
1 Hi,
2
3 > Binpkg performance is acceptable albeit not blazing fast for machines
4 > with 500-800 packages (usually server) while for desktops which easily
5 > have 2000 packages the time to update can be hours.
6 I take from this that the binpkg process really should be optimized
7 somehow.  Without looking at the code it looks like binpkg is
8 significantly less efficient than without.
9
10 I think Michał also hinted at this.  Essentially, from the sounds of the
11 above I suspect we're at "we're probably burning more CPU on calculating
12 the dependency tree than merely recompiling".
13
14 Which to me defeats the purpose.  This may be a single-core use vs
15 multiple cores though, so whilst it may take similar amount of time it's
16 possible that we end up consuming less energy overall.
17
18 Kind Regards,
19 Jaco