From: Ricardo Loureiro <rjlouro@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC - Gentoo on the Lab
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:02:59
1 Hi all,
2
3 As part of the final project for my graduation in Informatics
4 Engineering (kinda Computer Science but that's the official name),
5 I'm gonna develop a "distributed" portage so we can have a test
6 lab at our uni with Gentoo (Starting September 1st). The idea is to
7 have a central machine with the portage tree inside an SQL server and
8 hacked portage so it makes remote sql query's. Also, the machines
9 should not compile any software but either request binary packages
10 that would be custom build according to their specs somewhere else.
11 This would allow a central machine to request the world file of every
12 client, calculate the needed upgrades, compile them according to
13 their specs and make them available on the lan as a binary package.
14 And this would make at least my job a lot easier. The project is
15 bigger, but I just described the necessary as background to my
16 questions, although I'd love to discuss the whole thing with other
17 ppl.
18
19 Some questions:
20
21 1- Can I RSYNC_EXCLUDE everything except profiles and have an usable
22 system?
23
24 2- There was a portagesql effort, is it dead?
25
26 3- If I tweak a custom profile not to have dev packages such as gcc,
27 what kind of problems should I expect? Which packages from the base
28 profile MUST exist? The idea is that the client machines should not
29 be capable of compiling software.
30
31 4- Any ideas on how the conf files should be handled?
32
33 The final result of the project will be released to the community
34 (GPL or BSD, still need to think), so I'd love to ear from users
35 dealing with this kind of scenario, question, comments, whatever you
36 think I should focus on. Oh, a name for the project would be welcome
37 =)
38
39 Thanks in advance,
40 Ricardo Loureiro