From: Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Racing in init scripts
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:36:12
1 While not exactly a "show stopper," I find that a number of the init
2 scripts (namely apache, bind, and maybe cyrus, IIRC) race too quickly
3 during a 'restart.'
4
5 For instance, my nameservers (all gentoo) with more than ~12 zones take
6 a second to stop listening on the interfaces and close the logs. Before
7 they stop, init has already tried to start named again. You see the problem.
8
9 This leads to failed starts which always makes me panic for a second
10 before I realize it just ran too fast. Throwing a 'sleep' in there
11 doesn't always seem like a good idea because the shutdown time is
12 variable and putting a 'sleep 5' between start and stop makes things
13 annoying.
14
15 Just food for thought, I suppose. Anyone else notice this? (FWIW, I've
16 seen this on almost every other linux distro out there as well, but
17 fixing it wouldn't keep me up at night.)
18
19 TIA.
20 --
21 Eric Sammer